I had previously been using a smaller charging device, that of an FMA CellPro 4S one that only output a wopping 4 amps, which is very limited for modern larger batteries. So I knew I needed something with more horsepower and it would require constructing a whole new setup to charge anything from Nicads to 4S and beyond batteries and two at once was my minimal goal. There was some merit to going with two separate chargers, but I liked the all in one design of the Reaktor and was willing to risk it dying completely vs having two separate chargers. I looked at various possible charge box options and chose this type of “suitcase” aluminum charging box. I could have gone with a more vertical “toolbox” style, but this one offered a bit of flexibility. In this article I’ll show the equipment I used to make it and how it was put together as well as the fire-safe box I ended up creating for both charging and transport.
I wanted to make it possible to use my Taranis x9D with my v303 (x380 hybrid) for various reasons. One of them being the ability to have RSSI to the minimOSD, which I haven’t gotten to work with so far with the stock Flight Controller (FC). I also wanted to have both the x380 and Twinstar II on the same radio as models for simplification. I was also hoping for more range than the stock radio, though in recent days I’ve read of stories of people at least with the true-blue x380 hitting 2 miles in one direction on the stock equipment. In this build guide I’ll share the details of what I end up doing.
This is a short music video montage from a recent flight in South Charleston Ohio. I hadn’t quite got the micro minimOSD setup completed the way I wanted at this point, however it was mostly there, short of some flashing in the video. I managed to climb to around 387 feet. Once again I used the HeadPlay HD goggles for nearly the entire flight.. I usually take them off for takeoff and landing.
Here is a look at some video using the v303 / x380 (hybrid) quad from 3-27-16. This is prior to my micro minimOSD mods. At this point I still have the EZOSD mounted inside the canopy near the “eyes” (led lights), which often doesnt get a good altitude reading till after 3-6 minutes.
I have had several standalone OSD attempts on my XK Detect V303 to this date. My quad is the newer version, so it has a lot of the same x380 hardware inside. The first OSD I got second hand, the EZOSD by ImmersionRC. I mounted the modules on the outside of the quad and put its GPS module in the canopy dome near the eyes of the quad and shielded it. I ran into issues where it would take well over 6 minutes to get a good lock, requiring about 10 satellites (out of say 13 visible) to do so. If you would fly prior to the lock you would get wacky altitude readings. So I then tried a second hand DragonOSD and this one couldnt even get a lock, most likely defective. At this point I had decided to give the MinimOSD a shot, since some people in the RCGroups had successfully done so. And that brings us to this build and all the juicy details.